Established in 1894, Linwood Cemetery is located within the Pleasant Hill Historic District of Macon, Georgia and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Linwood Cemetery is the resting place for many of Middle Georgia's most prominent African-American citizens.
The cemetery is on the north side of Walnut Street between Pursley and Grant Avenue. A small creek divides area into an eastern and a western half. Visitors can access the western entrance from Walnut Street or the eastern entrance at the north end of Pursley Street.
Many prominent African-Americans are buried at Linwood including doctors, lawyers, bankers, businessmen, and beloved teachers. Many graves belong to veterans of World War I, World War II, the Korean Conflict, and the war in Vietnam. There may be as many as four thousand graves located here.
The BillionGraves website lists over 140 records for Linwood Cemetery with photographs and GPS locations.
The website Find A Grave has over 500 listings for Linwood.
The USGenWeb Project has an index of over 700 names and gravestone photographs.
Here are the stories of some people resting at Linwood Cemetery:
was a resident of Pleasant Hill who joined the Marines and fought in Vietnam in 1967. When a grenade was launched at his platoon, he used his body to absorb the blast and save his fellow soldiers. He was posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and had a Navy ship named in his honor. His grave and a memorial are at Linwood Cemetery. Davis’ uniform and Medal of Honor are on display at the Tubman Museum.
was a successful businessman who founded the Douglass Theatre in downtown Macon. He also owned the Colonial Hotel with a grille, cafe, and soda fountain for African-American travelers. His businesses included a beer parlor, wine shop, and the Middle Georgia Savings and Investment Company.
Jeff Long taught himself to read and write. He was a tailor and owned a business in Macon. Long was eloquent speaker and urged former slaves to register to vote. In 1871, he was elected as a representative to Congress and was the first Black man to address Congress. Macon has a park named in his honor. A rocking chair owned by Long is on display at the Tubman Museum.
"Education is the only thing that will elevate us as a people, the only means by which we rise to fame and glory." -- Jefferson Franklin Long
The Compromise of 1877 ended Reconstruction in the South. The Fifteenth Amendment was no longer enforced and Black men lost thier voting rights. It would be 100 years before another person of color represented the people of Georgia.
became a registered nurse at a time when many Black women had little education. She owned a funeral home and worked in public health. Mrs. Mosley was a community leader and founder of a women's center named for her.
"You are as good as anyone. Never let the fact that you don't have anything keep you from achieving." -- Ruth Hartley Mosley
lived in Pleasant Hill where he attended LH Williams grammar school and Ballard High School. He enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1940 and was sent to Pearl Harbor where he served aboard the U.S.S. California. He was the first person from Macon to lose his life in World War II. A total of 102 sailors died when their ship was attacked by the Japanese. George Vining was buried with full military honors at Linwood Cemetery.
This precocious young lady lived on Monroe Street in Pleasant Hill. Her mother was a dress maker for Macon's wealthy upper class. Cleopatra was a very attractive girl with long straight silky hair. Miss Love attended Atlanta University and Morris Brown College. She taught English at Booker T Washington High School in Atlanta and was an advocate for teaching Black History. Miss Love retired to Macon and is buried in Linwood Cemetery.
McKay was a community leader and founder of the Federated Girls Club. Miss McKay was instrumental in getting Black police officers put in charge of patroling Macon's Black neighborhoods. Professionally McKay was an agent for the Atlanta Life Insurance Company. This Black-owned business gave African-Americans the opportunity to work in financial services. The owner, Alonzo Herndon, was a noteworthy businessman in the Atlanta area.
Sergeant Davis was the first Black soldier be awarded the Legion of Merit. He was wounded while fighting German forces at the Battle of the Arno River in Italy. The Medal was pinned to his uniform while he was recuperating in a hospital. When he returned home, he sold war bonds to support the war effort. You can see the Legion of Merit Medal on display at the Tubman Museum.
Dr. Green was born in NC and moved to Macon to practice medicine. He obtained degrees from both from Lincoln University and Howard Medical College. Dr. Green and his wife were both advocates for African-American education and taught a young
Henry Rutherford Butler who later became Georgia's first African American pharmacist. Dr Green's influence led Butler to establish several professional organizations for Black physicians.
Dr. Shuften who lived in Pleasant Hill was married to Olivia and had a son named Charles Shuften also here at Linwood. Dr Shuften is a younger relative of JT Shuften the noted publisher. The elder J.T.Shuften was the editor of the South's first Black-owned newspaper (1865) the Colored American, which later became the Loyal Georgian. He was also a barber and a lawyer.
J.T. Shuften wrote an expose on the political changes in the South after the Civil War and the great betrayal of the Republican party called "A Colored Man's Exposition of the Acts and Doings of the Radical Party South from 1865 to 1876". The article is still available and gives an interesting view into troubles faced by a free but uneducated population in post-war South. see Library of Congress link.
graduated from Ballard Normal School in 1928 and attended Morehouse College in Atlanta. He was an industrial arts teacher in the Bibb County school system for 37 years before retiring. Mr. Howard was active in community service for many years into retirement. He served as treasurer of Tremont Temple Baptist Church.
was the chair of the Red Cross Auxillary and an outspoken advocate for civil rights.
Jones was also the founder and director of the Pleasant Hill playground that bears her name.
The playground was the center for many community events, festivals, and field days with organized sporting events. The playground was known for its competitive tennis program.
Crawford Wilfred Ernest Dyer was the founder of the St. Luke's Hospital for Black-Americans in Macon, Georgia. Also for his many years of hard work and dedication to the Boy Scouts of America, Dyer was awarded the Silver Beaver. He was the first African-American in Bibb county to earn the award. Dr. Dyer was president of the Macon Academy of Medicine and Dentistry; he was honored by the Medical Association of Georgia for 50 years of continuous service in the medical profession and he served for many years on the Board of Directors of the Booker T. Washington Center in Macon.
founded a popular upholstery business in 1883 "Paul Duval & Son" that remained in business for over a hundred years in Macon. His great-grandson, Dr. Thomas Duval, talks about the history of Macon's Pleasant Hill neighborhood in
"Dr JS", as he was known, was the president of the local NAACP chapter in 1955 when the Georgia state attorney general tried to revoke licenses of teachers who were NAACP members. Dr Williams succesfully fought that challenge.
In 1872 Williams began teaching Black students in the basement of the AME Church on Cotton Ave supported by the American Missionary Association. Also taught at the Academy for the Blind. The elementary school on Pursley Street in Pleasant Hill is named for him.
Persley was the first African American to register with the Georgia State Board of Registered Architects.
He designed several structures on the campus of Tuskegee University. In Macon, Pursley Street is named for him.
Robert Lee Smith was Macon's first Black attorney. He graduated from Ballard Normal School in Pleasant Hill and worked for the Pilgrim Health and Life Insurance Company. Smith worked in the office of attorney E.L.Wheaton until he passed the bar exam. He was president of Smith-Cain Realtors and a trustee of the Steward Chapel AME Church.
was elementary school teacher and principal at Maude C Pye Elementary School. Brunson attended Morris Brown College and Atlanta University. During World War II, he served in Australia with the US Army's Transportation Corps. After the war, he returned to Macon to teach at Ballard-Hudson School.
graduated from Ballard and continued his education at Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, North Carolina. He had a 31-year career at the US Postal Service, and was president of Business League of Macon. Reid also served as chairman of the board for the Middle Georgia Savings and Investment Company.
Hartley was the first husband of Ruth Hartley Mosley. They were married in 1917. He was a widowed Macon Socialite and the owner of a bar. The Prohibition Amendment of 1918 put him out of business. He went into
business in the Central City Funeral Home (Randall Memorial Mortuary).
Lt. White was a buffalo soldier in the 10th Regiment and served during the Spanish American War. His father, W.J.White was co-founder of the Augusta Institute, which later became Morehouse College. Lucien White became associate editor and assistant business manager at the Georgia Baptist Printing and Publishing Company where he taught young men about the publishing business.
Dr. Kyles was a pharmacist and a community leader. His pharmacy, located on Cotton Avenue, also served as a store and a soda fountain. Many of his patients came from Dr. Dyer of St. Luke's hospital. He was a member of Tremont Temple Baptist Church.
Peter Appling was a loved and respected teacher who taught at several schools. On his draft card, Appling listed his occupation as "preaching and teaching".
Rev. Appling was the Dean of Central City College, a private school for colored students established in 1899 by the Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia. Peter Appling served as the principal of Hudson High School. Today Appling Middle School in Macon is named in his honor.
Mrs. Jackson attended both Fort Valley State College and Atlanta University. In her 42-year professional career with the Bibb County Board of Education, she served as a teacher and later as a principal of Green Street School.
Mrs. Jackson was a member of Tremont Temple Baptist Church where she was on its Trustee Board and was a founding member of the Macon chapter of The Links women’s volunteer service organization.
This plot of land was the site of an old Macon hospital until 1894 when J.W.Cabaness and Walter Lamar founded the cemetery for Macon's Black population. Adjacent to the property is small cave that was used by a pre-Civil War brewery. This map shows where the old brewery was located in relation to the cemetery and the present-day highway. There is still a street named "Brewery Lane" on the other side of I-75 near the Army Reserve Center.